Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Seattle, Greensburg, Kansas City, and Cincinnati

My roommate and I just hooked up the internet in our new apartment in Cincinnati, so I can finally throw a new post on here.

Leaving Seattle was an ordeal. I was working my ass off to try to prepare for a presentation that summarized all of the work I had done at T-Mobile, while simultaneously trying to get ready to fly to Greensburg, Kansas on Monday. I found out that my roommate, Evan, was in Greensburg to help rebuild the town, which had been destroyed by a massive tornado. Given my construction background, and figuring it might make sense for us to drive to Cincy together, I decided to join him for a few days to help out.

But first, I had to get out of Seattle. After recieving some duffels in the mail from my parents, I stuffed them full of my clothes: some dirty, some clean, but all smelling funny afterwards. I packed another bag with general stuff, and a backpack with my computer, some clothes changes, and toiletries. The remaining stuff I had no idea what to do with, but fortunately a friend offered to hang onto them and send them once I had arrived in Cincinnati.

Next, I had to put my car in storage. I was originally going to drive it across the country, but my parents suggested I keep it there as they would be in the area sometime in the near future. I don't really know why, but I didn't ask questions - Two cross-country trips in one year is enough for me (I had driven to and from L.A. in the winter for a co-op at K-Swiss). I found a place next to the Ballard bridge, and drove over and stored the car. I found a bus stop right next to the bridge, and waited for the bus. As usual, it did not come at the time it was supposed to, and I had just turned to begin walking when I heard it approach. I waved my arms like an idiot, but it just passed me. The driver gave me some kind of hand signal I didn't know how to interpret. This was the last of many moments with Seattle public transit that pissed me off. It was a beautiful day though, and I was hungover, so I decided just to walk home.

I stopped for some much-needed food at some place called China Box or something like that, and then continued along what I guess is Lake Union. Since I was in no hurry, I walked through Gasworks Park, which looks like something out of a steampunk illustration. In the picnic area there was what I think was a man in a ridiculous dress sitting behind a microphone while sound equipment was being set up and people stood around smoking weed.

I continued on through Fremont and paused at Troll street. After some inner deliberation based on the hill I would have to walk up, I decided to walk to the place where the bridge over my head met the earth, where there is a gigantic statue of a troll emerging from the ground below the bridge. It actually might have freaked me out if I didn't know it was there...and if it was night.

Eventually I made it home. Some people run miles and miles every day, but for me, it was a damn long walk, and hot.

After a successful presentation on Monday, and then another for the VP, I hopped into the car of a very helpful friend, and headed to SeaTac for the flight to Kansas at 2:45. The flights were pretty nice, actually. The first one had comfy seats and the second one had a bunch of characters on board. No upset babies to speak of.

Evan greeted me at the airport by pissing in the urinal next to mine without a word. We walked out of the airport, and then remembered that I didn't have my bags. After correcting that situation, we drove to Greensburg and had a beer in a small gazebo in "volunteer village." The sleeping arrangements were shipping containers divided into four sections which each contained two bunk beds.

I spent three days there, working from 8 to 5 on homes - painting, siding, and insulating. The community had come a long way since the initial tornado. My previous experience with construction had been with my dad, which I was paid for, and hated, although I'm glad that I now have that knowledge. I loved working in Greensburg, the days were beautiful and the meals were free.

On our last night there, we went into a town called Pratt to watch Kansas State play Louisville. We enjoyed some casual beers and greasy food until some of the locals started ordering rounds of Patron. After four rounds and two pitchers, we decided it might be time to leave. As we paid our bills the waitress informed us that Evan and I were the only ones who had been drinking Patron. The rest were taking shots of water...a novel trick. A fireman from Jersey who had been working with us drove us home.

I fell out of my bed that night, which I had been fearing the entire time.

The next day we worked until lunch and then prepared for the drive home. As a measure of courtesy to each other, we showered in the portable trailers that housed the bathrooms and showers. The showers had a button that you would have to press every two minutes or so to continue a very powerful and direct stream of hot water. The first time I used the shower, I wasn't prepared, and I delivered a straight shot like a pressure washer straight to the worst possible area of the body to recieve a straight shot like a pressure washer.

Evan and I spent the night in Kansas City, in an area called Westport, which was surprisingly awesome. We did a little bar hop, beginning at an outdoor patio with a live band, and ending at a place wedged between two buildings that served PBR tall-boys and played hardcore punk music.

We reached Cincy on friday night. As usual for this time of year, Clifton was a mess of noise and drunkards, which is always exciting. The next day was devoted to Oktoberfest and UC v. Miami.

Now, classes are about to start and everything is about to get a lot lamer.

No comments: